Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Death at the Disco

The attic is deathly quiet theses days. Not a scritch can be heard. I think disco has killed the squirrel. (see post Rats with better PR)
Squirrel Fever

Last month I tangled with what I assumed was a rodent residing in the attic. The incessant scritching sound above my bed at 4:30a.m. left me with a rather unpleasant demeanor in the morning. Although this had no effect on the rodent ,my marriage on the other hand was skating on thin ice. Me yelling obscenities at the ceiling at odd hours just doesn't have the desired outcome as me yelling obscenities at other times. I think that's how Bill explained it.

 So naturally I turned to the Internet to solve my problem. Where I found a site that for $150.00 would send me a strobe light that was guaranteed to shoo the offender away. ( the rodent , not Bill) ( so far). Something about dilating their pupils in an irritating way due to the lack of RayBans worn by squirrels. They're more the sombrero type.  I've seen them. 

 I pondered this. It was worth it in my opinion. I didn't want to have to resort to lying to my doctor to have the Ambien refilled in order to sleep. Yelling at the ceiling is exhausting. "Yes doctor, my back is out again" just holds so much more weight than " doctor...my rodent is back".  I could have tried "my rodent's back is out" and hoped for the best but I couldn't be sure how sympathetic my doctor was to a rodent's spinal issues. If she had PETA leanings I would have scored. These are things to consider.

Bill heard me talking about the strobe lights (more likely he tuned in at the mention of $150.00) and reminded me he had just purchased two rechargeable emergency flashlights that plug directly into the wall. When the power goes off they automatically come on. Which will be useful if I'm standing in my kitchen or hallway in the middle of the night when the power outage hits. As it turns out they have a strobe function. I'm guessing to flag down help if needed. Or signal a flash mob disco depending on your level of concern.

And so we set up the flashlight in the attic. On strobe. And things have been very very quiet. Deathly quiet. As if a squirrel perhaps had a seizure from staring into the strobe light. And died. In the wall. Where the smell is coming from.
what I see when I look at the wall.

2 comments:

  1. OMG! Too funny! I can see the discoing going on in the attic now. Where on earth did you find that squirrel fever picture...perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could have at least installed a disco ball in the attic played an old record repeatedly for them. The sound of the Bee Gee's alone would probably drive them to either flee the house or commit suicide.

    ReplyDelete