Monday, December 19, 2011

Listing Liszt







At church yesterday I had a very difficult time concentrating on the message.  It was cantata Sunday and we had a full orchestra that accompanied the choir. And I'm sure it sounded beautiful but I was too nervous to listen.

The bass player kept falling asleep. Sitting on her stool. Hanging on to her instrument.  You know how someone teeters back and forth and the starts violently awake jusssssst before they pass out? Well, that was her during the entire early service.   I couldn't take my eyes off of her. And I should have been more concerned but I kept thinking WOW  what an unforgettable service this will be when she hits the grand piano then slams to the floor. ( I have a stunted mercy gene)  And I wondered what could have made her so tired? Is she one of those wild partying bassists? Where do they party?

Then one of the sopranos ruined the fun and slipped our asst. music minister a note advising him of the situation and I got to enjoy watching  his eyebrows shoot up and down each time she listed from one side to the other. He was seated at the grand piano that she was surely going to take out with her on her descent. He poked her in the back and mouthed a "are you okay" at her. She said she was.  And then proceded to repeat the sleeping/swaying/jerking the rest of the service.   I was afraid to blink.  I didn't want to miss it.   In fact the entire front row of our choir ( I'm in the alto section - we're all a little whacked) was mesmerized by her swaying like a child's top on the brink of spilling over.    But it didn't happen. During the second service she had more than one note to play and so seemed actively engaged - but I can't be sure.  She may have been string-syncing.    

No comments:

Post a Comment