Monday, November 12, 2012

I was a violet


Notice the boys were dandelions. 

In kindergarten our class performed a musical about flowers.  I was a violet.  My mom made mine and my best friend, Muffy, costumes.  They were made from purple crepe paper.  I can clearly remember my mom worrying that if we got caught in a rain shower we were doomed. 


Contemplating ripping off her ankle bling.

I also remember Rose.  I was not a fan of Rose. She didn't like me much either.  I secretly wanted the lead roll.  But I wasn't lead material.  Even if I did have the mouth for it. 

Eat your heart out , Rose. 
  
Muffy was my best friend.  She was one of 10 children.  Much to the horror of the other  mothers my mom called one of Muffy's older siblings to see if they wanted to babysit for us sometime.  When my mom asked one of the moms why they felt that way she was informed that their family was quite wealthy, as in fountains in their yard, butlers, nannies, maids. No one ever called one of their children to babysit. My mom called anyway.  Muffy's sister was so thrilled because no one ever asked them.   I remember being invited to her house to play and how big it was.  They had a playroom.  With a stage.  With costumes.  Kind of like The Sound of Music,   And they had a puppet stage with marionettes.  And every Barbie AND Ken AND all Barbie's accessory and clothes.   Our moms became friends and I remember we just really liked being together. 
Their backyard was landscaped with lights and fountains and a playground like you would see at city park.  Her older brothers convinced me that if I stepped in the "monkey grass" I'd lose a foot.  They had fountains - so I was pretty sure they spoke truth.   

We moved before the next year.  I've often wondered where she is and if she remembers being a violet.

I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment