Tuesday, December 4, 2012

My Sensitive Side

When Bill and I were in high school and just friends  I had been at his house playing pool with a bunch of our other friends.  He lived in a large ranch style home with his room at the end of a long hall.  The bathroom in the hall also opened up to his bedroom. 
.
I was born nosey.  I wandered in to his room where I discovered a small hamster cage.   I tapped on the cage.  No movement.  Hmmm.  I picked up a pencil and poked around in the cedar shavings.   Uh Oh. 

I called out down the hall. "Hey man, I think your rat is dead."      ........In my defense I had no idea that he was so sentimental about hamsters.  Or I would have never said a word.  


Which is why years later when we were house sitting for his parents and their animal menagerie including Bill's dog Peppy which he'd had since 3rd grade and I went to let her out of the laundry room to go outside and couldn't open the door I knew there was a problem.  I leaned against the door and shoved it open and her body stiff with rigor mortis slid across the floor.  All 4 paws in mid-air.  Sh*t !  Recalling how distraught he was over his hamster I realized I would have to handle this with kid-gloves.  So I went back into the kitchen and told him he needed to check on his dog.  She seemed to be having difficulty breathing.

I am a chicken. 


No comments:

Post a Comment