Friday, April 20, 2012

Average Size


I don't know.
 When I was a junior in high school I acquired my first super power.  Boobs.  Well, maybe not my first but certainly my most powerful at the time.  However having a superpower coupled with low self-esteem can make for a certain amount of conflict.   Wear a horizontal stripes or not.  These were the big issues.  One of the problems I faced being a latch-key teenager with "interesting" parents was that I was often left to my own decision making.   My mother loved me but lacked any focus on guiding me in certain areas.  One of these areas was how to find the right bra.  On my own I managed to pick a size and wear it.  However it somehow never occurred to me that I might eventually change.  And so I kept a size.  Also it never occurred to me you could own more than one.   

Let's advance several years.  I'm in my early twenties. Enter my mother-in-law Jane.  Born without a mouth filter or shame.  Mother of three rowdy boys/men. Raised with a younger brother. Modesty wasn't even in her vocabulary.  She was outspoken and direct.  Qualities I had never been exposed to from any women in my own family who operated on avoidance behavior and massive amounts of guilt.   Jane took me to a clothing sample sale where some fashion vendor had samples that had been shown to department store buyers and now the vendor was selling the samples to the public.  It was held in a private home.  It was for woman only.  The reason became apparent as they just ripped their own clothes off where they stood and tried on the samples.  I nearly died.  And then I thought what the heck and joined them.  Jane took one look at my bra and pronounced I was an idiot.  That clearly I was wearing the wrong size/wrong style/wrong/wrong/wrong. I'm sure I turned red and stayed that color the rest of the day.  She then decided SHE would take me shopping.  To add to my horror she took me to a specialty shop where a strange woman was going to actually measure me.   Now Jane was easily a 44 DD with a 24 in waist.  So I was intimidated on more than one level. 

The measuring lady confiscated my ratty bra and informed me I was wearing a 34B when I should have been wearing a 32DD.  This seemed to account for the lumpy sweaters and uneven stripes.  When Jane asked me what possessed me to wear the wrong size all my young life I explained that I was an average person and that was an average size.     In my head that's how I saw myself - just average so that's how I dressed myself.  Jane freed me from being average.  She still thought I was an idiot but she helped to give me courage and not just in the bra department.

So if you're feeling average or maybe you're suffering from low self-esteem check to see what size bra your wearing because maybe you're just stuck in a 34B rut.   Also buy more than one, it's okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment