Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Things I'm afraid of

A few years back our town had a mascot.  It was a cat named Amos.  Amos lived on our town square.  Little children, the elderly, even the curmudgeon among us loved Amos.  I hated Amos.  Amos looked like the grim reaper had lost his address.  In cat years he should have had Kevorkian on speed dial.  HE WAS OLD.  Now before I get an onslaught of hate mail let me tell you specifically why I hated Amos.  Amos was single-handedly responsible for loss of revenue on the square.  I wouldn't shop there. I lived in fear of being the one that would run over and squash his mangie body thereby being the first to be put in stockades on the square since - well maybe ever.  When I drove up there and parked I always checked every angle of my car.  But let me just say IF I had hit that damn cat I would have thrown him in the trunk so fast and driven his body over the Mississippi before his body had had time to cool off.  ------Bill thought I just didn't like to shop on the square.  I may have been the only soul that breathed a sigh of relief when I read his obit in the paper.   ( I scoured it for any mention of my van - just in case that wasn't a speed bump)

Which leads me to my CURRENT fear.  She has to be as old as Amos.  She rides an old fashion bicycle everyday no matter the weather.  Today it was easily 94 degrees when I saw her coming down the rode.  At 2 mph.  With a plastic bag on EACH handle bar that were both swelled to bursting.  I swear I don't know how she keeps that bike vertical.  I take side streets when I see her.  Sometimes I go around the block just to make sure she's still on it.  I don't know this lady but I worry about her so much that the day I get up and she's not on the road I'll be very very sad.  I admire her perseverance and her enchanted bike (that's the only explanation) but mostly I love her smile.  She smiles so big.  She seems happy.  Meantime I'm losing years of my life.   If you know who she is tell her I'll give her a ride to Walmart. PLEASE.

Great ..... I just read where the town is trying to adopt a rooster that wandered up to the fried chicken place close to the square as our new mascot.   He'll be much easier to replace.    

I say, I say , I say ............


2 comments:

  1. Kelly! The boys and I see her all the time. The boys say "there's that old lady again" I swear I do NOT know how she keeps her bike up!! hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I should use my van as a taxi for her and Robert ( the other regular bike rider) and the chicken. All at the same time.

      Delete