Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Bill's Gift Giving Logic


GIVE ME A MAC BOOK PRO

A lesson I learned long ago about Bill giving gifts is that I usually get whatever I want as long as it's the last thing I say before he goes shopping.  For instance early in our marriage I casually commented on a commercial that was on TV.  And my birthday was a couple of days later.  Teddy Ruxpin came to live with us that year.  We didn't have children then.  As I recall I said " oh, isn't that cute."  I'm a lot more careful now. And direct.  I bring you this year's conversation.


Bill:  What do you want for Christmas?
Me:  I want a Mac Book Pro or desktop.
Bill:  I am not getting you anything that has to do with technology.  You'll be on it all the time.
Me: Let me get this straight, you're not getting me what I want for Christmas because I'll actually use it?
Bill:  Yes.
Me:  I don't think you understand the role of Santa Claus......hmmmm what do you want for Christmas?
Bill:  I asked you first.
Me: Is this a competition?
Bill:  It is now.
Me: Oh , it's on. 

And this is how I ended up with a Michael Kors watch.  Because in a later conversation I complimented my daughter's MK watch and then Bill went out and promptly bought me one for Christmas.  Personally I think Michael must have overheard his mother say something like this : " Damn it, I can't see a single number on this stupid cheap watch, what time is it?"  Michael " Jeesh mom, for the hundredth time it's three o'clock!"
I had no idea who/what an MK watch was. I recently had to ask what all the fuss was over Rinaldo bracelets.  Oh, I recognize the big ones, Coach, Givenchy, Gucci, Timex, you know.  But I have to say I love the huge dial.  I can finally read my own watch. And it has a timer on it too. And it might come in handy as  a weapon, kind of like brass knuckles.  So there's that.  I'm finally trendy.  However I am not giving up on the Mac. 

No comments:

Post a Comment